How-to posts are irresistible because we want to avoid reading all the theory and get stuff done. We want to learn how to do things quicker, cheaper and better than other people and of course, saving us from the tedious learning curve.
Let´s get down to work
Step 1: Identify your audience. Who are you writing for?
Step 2: Choose your topic; “How-to-do WHAT”?
Step 3: Pick the perfect title. Don´t panic, you will re-think it on Step 9.
Step 4: Create an outline
- Introduction: Sets the stage for what you plan to teach your readers how to do
- Body: Explains each step involved
- Conclusion: Summarizes your post with a reflection on what they just learned
Step 5: Write the Introduction
- Write a compelling opening that empathizes with the reader´s problem or difficulty
- Explain the problem
- Explain the how-to steps
Step 6: Write the Body
- Write a header that indicates you are about to get your hands dirty
- List all the steps. Use words like “next”, “after” and “then” to show the change of steps
- Go on to the Conclusion
Step 7: Conclusion
- Let the reader know that there are no more steps
- Summarize what the reader just learned
- Add a call to action: encourage the reader to try what they have learned and/or to leave a comment
Step 8: Link to Additional Resources within your Post
What can you link to your post that will add value?
Step 9: Finalize your Title
Here is when you understand if the title you drafted has something to do with what you ended up writing about
Step 10: EDIT! EDIT! EDIT!
Step 11: Choose a relevant image
Step 12: Optimize your Text for Search Engines
Step 13: Hit Publish!
Do not panic if you pressed Publish and you forgot something, you can always edit and update the post.
Moving to my conclusion, I hope you find this How to write How-to blog posts useful. Do let me know if you have more steps you think I should add. But remember:
“Blogging is a conversation, not a code.”
-Mike ButcherIs all about your readers…
Here is an example of a How-to Blog post that will give you some more information about How to write blog titles. Is catchy isn´t it?